Skip to content

Best Ways To Get Rid Of Basement Mold


Mold is a fungus that can grow on various organic materials, such as food and fabric. It thrives in damp environments with little to no light, making the basement an ideal place for mold to grow unnoticed. Mold infestation poses serious health risks because it can release toxic spores into nearby air or onto nearby surfaces. If you discover mold in your home’s basement, act quickly to get rid of it before its effects become worse. There are many ways to remove mold from your basement; here are some of the best methods to try out first!


This household chemical is one of the most accessible products you can use to remove mold. Bleach kills spores by penetrating their exterior wall and destroying important cellular structures within them. Mix bleach with water at a ratio of 1:10, apply it to walls or other surfaces infected with mold using a sponge, let stand for 5 minutes before rinsing. Just make sure you protect your eyes, nose, and mouth when using bleach, so you don’t breathe in the fumes. Always keep children and pets away from bleach, too, since it isn’t safe for them to encounter it directly.

Baking Soda

Baking soda is known to absorb moisture, making it an effective way to remove mold. However, its effects are only temporary; you will need to reapply the baking soda if the surfaces become wet again. To use this mold removal method, mix water, and baking soda at a ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 until you get a thick paste. Apply the paste to infected areas and let it stand for several hours before washing it off with water. Make sure to dry the surfaces thoroughly before using them again.

Hydrogen Peroxide

This is another household product that can help you get rid of mold. Hydrogen peroxide, which has a wide range of applications, works by killing spores while it dries, without leaving behind residues or harmful chemical fumes. However, hydrogen peroxide also poses health risks because it can be corrosive to skin and mucous membranes, so exercise caution when using large amounts of it. To use, dilute hydrogen peroxide with water at a ratio of 1:4 and use it as you would bleach.


Vinegar is known to kill mold effectively. It works much like bleach, but it has a shorter contact time and doesn’t produce fumes harmful to the lungs. To use, mix equal parts of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and apply on moldy surfaces before scrubbing them with a brush or wiping with rags. It is best to use undiluted white vinegar because other types may not be as effective.


Borax is a natural mineral that can kill mold. It works by dehydrating the spores once they’ve come in contact with it. To use, mix borax with water at a ratio of 1:4 and spray it onto moldy surfaces. Make sure to rinse well, as it can leave residue after drying. You can find borax in most grocery stores, and although it’s considered safe, you should wear gloves while handling borax to keep it away from your skin.


This chemical can kill mold quickly for surfaces that are not porous, but it can also damage other household materials, so make sure you have good control over where this chemical is being used. To use this method, mix equal parts of water and ammonia into a spray bottle and apply directly onto moldy areas. Be careful when re-entering the space where you used ammonia, as inhaling its fumes may irritate your lungs.

Isopropyl Alcohol

This disinfectant is a popular choice for killing mold because it takes only seconds to work. The alcohol in the spray penetrates mold spores and causes them to dry up immediately. However, be sure not to use this product near open flames or sources of sparks because the fumes may combust explosively! To use, spray isopropyl alcohol onto moldy surfaces and let sit for 10 seconds before wiping clean with a rag.

Remove Any Moisture

Mold needs water to grow and survive, so getting rid of any moisture is a good way to kill the spores. Fix leaky pipes and appliances that drip because these can lead to mold infestations. Also, be sure that your basement doesn’t have any standing water because this presents an opportunity for mold colonies to establish themselves. You can check for sweating walls or other places prone to moisture by using a humidity monitor.


To further prevent mold from growing, it is important to let your basement dry out. You can do this by opening up windows and doors in cold weather when the humidity level is low. Keeping a fan running in the room throughout the day may also help because it will keep moisture from staying in one place for too long. Just be sure to switch it off at night because the fan may draw in moist air from outside.

Hire A Professional

If your basement is severely moldy, you may need a professional to handle the removal process. Thorough cleaning by a professional can prevent the spread of spores to other areas once they have been killed off. Also, hiring a professional will guarantee that no harmful chemicals or residue will be left behind. If you are not sure whether you need a professional, it is better to err on the side of caution to make sure the mold is not spreading, causing more damage to your home.


There are various ways to get rid of basement mold, from using household items to hiring a professional. The best methods use items found around the home in combination with careful attention to safety and environmental factors. Remember to wear protective clothing and equipment not to get mold on your skin or breathe in harmful fumes, no matter which method you choose. The most important thing is to clean up the mold as soon as possible because once it starts growing, it can cause further damage and create a bigger problem.