Skip to content

Home Hazards You Should Be Aware Of

If you’re like most people, your home is your sanctuary. It’s a place where you can relax and escape the hustle and bustle of the outside world. But while your home may be a safe haven for you, it can also be dangerous. You may not even be aware of many hazards in your house. By being aware of these potential dangers, you can take steps to protect yourself and your family. So read on for a list of home hazards to watch out for.

Carbon Monoxide


Every year, carbon monoxide poisoning kills hundreds of people in the United States. It is a completely colorless and odorless gas, making it impossible to detect without the proper equipment. If you suspect your home may have a carbon monoxide leak, it is important to take action immediately. The first step is to install a carbon monoxide detector. These devices are relatively inexpensive and can be found at most hardware stores. Once you have a detector in place, test it regularly to ensure it works properly. If you are exposed to carbon monoxide, get to fresh air immediately and call 9-1-1. With a little knowledge and preparation, you can protect yourself and your family from this deadly gas.



Falls are one of the most common hazards in the home, and they can happen to anyone at any time. Whether you’re slipping on a wet floor or tripping over a loose carpet, a fall can lead to serious injuries. That’s why it’s important to be aware of the risks and take steps to prevent falls in your home. One of the best ways to reduce your falling risk is to ensure your home is well-lit. Install night lights in hallways and stairways, and promptly replace any burned-out bulbs. You should also keep your floors clean and free of clutter. Remove throw rugs that could cause you to trip, and keep cords and wires out of the way. If you have stairs in your home, ensure they are well-lit and free of obstacles. Lastly, if you’re concerned about falling, consider wearing shoes with good traction. Avoid high heels or slippery shoes when walking around your home. By taking these precautions, you can help to prevent falls in your home and keep yourself safe.

Electrical Shocks


While most of us take electricity for granted, it’s important to remember that it can be a very dangerous force if not used properly. One hazard that many people are unaware of is the risk of electrical shock. An electrical shock occurs when the body comes into contact with an electrical current, ranging from a mild tingling sensation to a fatal injury. Even a small shock can cause serious internal damage, and repeated shocks can lead to cardiac arrest. There are several ways to reduce the risk of electrical shock in your home. Make sure that all of your electrical appliances and cords are in good condition and free of any damage. Replace the item immediately if you see any signs of wear or fraying. Don’t use any appliance or cord that is wet or exposed to water. Even if there is no visible damage, water can conduct electricity and increase the risk of shock. Lastly, always unplug appliances before attempting to repair or clean them. Even if they’re turned off, there is still a risk of shock if you come into contact with live wires. Following these simple safety tips can help protect yourself and your family from the dangers of electrical shocks.

Fires And Burns


Fires and burns are a leading cause of injuries and deaths in the home. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association, there are an average of over 360,000 house fires each year in the United States. And while most fires are small and easily contained, they can still cause significant damage to property and possessions. Burns, on the other hand, can be much more serious. Even a minor burn can result in pain, swelling, and scarring, while a more severe burn can lead to shock, infection, and even death. You can take a few simple steps to help prevent fires and burns in your home. Ensure to keep flammable materials like newspapers and magazines away from heat sources like stoves and fireplaces. Also, never leave candles unattended or leave them burning overnight. Third, always test your smoke detectors monthly and make sure they are working properly. And finally, if you experience a fire or burn, seek medical attention immediately. Taking these precautions can help keep your home safe from fires and burns.



Though it may seem like a rare occurrence, choking is a common home hazard, especially for small children. Choking is the fourth leading cause of unintentional injury death in the United States. Choking occurs when an object becomes lodged in the throat or windpipe, blocking airflow and making breathing difficult. Infants and young children are particularly at risk because they often put objects in their mouths and have smaller airways. To reduce the risk of choking, parents should keep small objects out of reach and supervise kids while they are eating. If someone does start to choke, it is important to stay calm and call 911 immediately. Trained professionals can provide lifesaving care and remove the obstruction quickly and safely. By being aware of the hazards of choking, you can help keep your family safe from this potentially deadly danger.

Radon Gas


Known as a silent killer, radon is a colorless, odorless gas that can be found in homes all across the country. Radon is produced by the breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water, and it can enter homes through cracks in the foundation or gaps around doors and windows. Once inside, radon gas can build up to dangerous levels, putting residents at risk for lung cancer. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. Although there is no guaranteed way to eliminate radon gas from home, there are steps that can be taken to reduce its level. These include sealing cracks in the foundation and increasing ventilation. Taking these precautions can help protect your family from the potential dangers of radon gas.

Mold And Mildew


Mold and mildew are two of the most common household hazards. Both are types of fungi that thrive in moist, warm environments. While mold is often found growing on surfaces like walls and ceilings, mildew typically forms on fabrics and other porous materials. Both mold and mildew can cause various health problems, including respiratory infections, skin irritation, and allergic reactions. In severe cases, they can even lead to serious lung diseases. That’s why it’s important to be aware of the dangers posed by these household hazards. If you suspect your home has a mold or mildew problem, contact a professional for help. Then, you can rid your home of these potentially dangerous fungi with the right treatment.

Keep Your Home Safe!

Several hazards can be found in the home. By taking some simple precautions, you can help keep your family safe from these dangers. Keep flammable materials away from heat sources, never leave candles unattended, and test your smoke detectors monthly. You should also be aware of choking, radon gas, mold, and mildew hazards. If you suspect your home has a problem with these hazards, contact a professional for help. Taking these steps can help keep your home safe and healthy for your family.