Dirty windows are such a turn-off, and the worst part is that this dirtiness is very easy to notice. They are particularly visible during daytime when the sunlight is shining through the windows, and you can see more of all the dirt, debris, and grime accumulated in the corners of your windows.
However, the good news is that it’s nothing that a nice window cleaner can’t fix!
When it comes to window cleaning, it’s always a good idea to use your own homemade window cleaner because, firstly, it’s super inexpensive to make one at home. Secondly, it’s more environmentally friendly because you will likely be re-using the same bottle for a while. And lastly, a homemade window cleaner comprises of natural, easily available ingredients that are much better for the environment compared to most commercial pre-mixed cleaners available out there that contain chemicals as well.
So, it’s time for you to say goodbye to dirty, dusty windows with the help of this homemade window cleaner that will give you perfectly shiny, streak-free windows
Basic Homemade Window Cleaner
There are numerous DIY window cleaner recipes, out of which this is one of the easiest to make.
For this homemade window cleaner, you will need:
Simply mix all three ingredients in a spray bottle, gently shake the bottle and use it to clean your windows. While you can use any essential oil of your choice, lemon is a great option given its clean, fresh, slightly acidic scent.
The reason for using distilled water instead of tap water is that the former is purer and less likely to leave marks, stains, and streaks on your windows.
Benefits Of Vinegar
There are probably no surprises as to why vinegar is a key ingredient in this homemade window cleaner, considering its excellent cleaning properties.
Other than that, vinegar has often been touted to be a ‘miracle ingredient from nature’ primarily because of how it’s completely anti-bacterial and non-toxic. It successfully kills germs, breaks down even the toughest accumulation of stains and dirt, owing to its acidic composition, and is so much more economical and easier on the pocket compared to commercial chemical cleaning solutions.
There are numerous advantages of using vinegar for cleaning your windows, such as:
- It is easily available and is also affordable.
- It doesn’t pose any health risks, is a non-toxic cleaning agent, and is free of harmful chemicals.
- It is highly effective on almost all types of glass surfaces.
- It offers streak-free properties and provides a streak-free appearance on just about any glass surface.
Benefits Of Essential Oils
Essential oils are generally used as stress-relievers and mood-boosters, but they also contain impressive cleaning abilities.
Most essential oils contain stain-fighting and grease-cutting abilities that leave behind perfectly clean, dirt-free surfaces. More than that, they feature anti-microbial properties that do a solid job at killing bacteria and germs.
A few key advantages of using essential oils for cleaning windows include:
- They are free of chemicals and harmful compounds as compared to commercial cleaners.
- They smell amazing and are likely to fill up the room with a pleasant fragrance.
- They are eco-friendly and don’t pose any harm or threat to the environment.
Do’s And Dont’s Of Window Cleaning
When cleaning your windows with a homemade window cleaner, there are a few essential things that you need to keep in mind.
Don’t begin spraying your windows with this cleaner just yet. There are some dos and don’ts that you should follow to keep your windows in the best shape possible.
So, take a look at our top tips for window cleaning that will help you a great deal.
- Clean every single part of the window because they are constantly exposed to wind, rain, dust, and other such elements. Oftentimes, most people skip the sides of the window where there’s the most amount of debris and dirt accumulated together. Make sure to get every part, including the screen, track, window, and windowsill.
- Clean your windows regularly to not only keep them free of dust and dirt but also to enhance the overall look and feel of your home. It is extremely important that you clean and maintains your windows on a regular basis.
- Use proper tools that are designed for window cleaning if you are looking for a proper, serious clean. Alongside the homemade window cleaner, your cleaning supplies should also include microfiber cloths, given how they are a wonderful, environment-friendly alternative to paper towels, and they do a great job at leaving the windows fuzz-free.
- Don’t use newspapers to clean your windows just because they are cheap and easily accessible. Newspapers might seem like an easy option, but in actuality, they don’t really do a great job at cleaning, given how they can leave traces of ink and rolled bits of paper on the window surface.
- Don’t try to clean all the windows in your home at one time, especially if your house has a lot of windows. Tackling all windows at once will simply result in a rushed job, and you might end up cleaning your windows twice. So, it’s ideal to split the cleaning task over a couple of days so that you can carefully inspect and clean each individual window in the best way possible.
- Don’t overuse the cleaning liquid in the assumption that the more product you use, the better it will clean. Start with a little amount and then spray more if needed.
Window cleaning is often a challenge for a lot of people, but with this homemade window cleaner, you can easily get the job done!
Always make sure to clean your windows regularly to prevent the accumulation of dirt, dust, and debris, and more than that, to make your house look clean and fresh.
We may not realize it, but windows play such a huge part in ensuring the cleanliness of your home.