Molds are a reoccurring and common problem in humid areas. Most places where there is a lack of air circulation will result in black molds. Getting rid of black molds is challenging, especially in dark places.
Molds grow in all surfaces like walls, tiles, boards, ceilings, and even plastic. Black mold is dangerous for health, mainly for people with lung disease and respiratory issues. Cleaning molds can be done as a DIY project. Avoid the use of chemicals as the fumes may be harmful to your family.
Here are five non-toxic ways to get rid of molds.
The most effective way to get rid of molds is by using hydrogen peroxide. It is a safe and natural remedy for all kinds of molds and is effective on all surfaces. The remedy is antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial.
Mix hydrogen peroxide 3% with two parts of water in a spray bottle. Spray on the affected area and let it rest for ten minutes. After ten minutes, scrub the area with a soft brush or a scrub pad. Now using a towel, wipe the affected area. You can also spray hydrogen peroxide on the towel and wipe it directly.
Hydrogen peroxide is effective for porous and non-porous surfaces. However, care needs to be taken to avoid contact with skin and eyes as it can cause pain and irritation. While cleaning, use gloves and eye protection gear.
Distilled white vinegar is one of the most effective and non-toxic mold cleaners. It is a safe and easy way to eliminate 80% of mold species. Use it directly on the affected area without diluting it.
Pour white vinegar into a spray bottle and spray on the affected part. Let the vinegar settle on the molds for a few minutes and wipe it with a wet towel. If a towel doesn’t work, scrub the area with a soft toothbrush and then clean with a disposable towel. If required, repeat the process.
Although vinegar is still safe, we recommend using gloves and eye gear. If clothes are affected by molds, soak clothes in 50% vinegar solution with water overnight. The next day you can wash the clothes separately. When cleaning large areas, use a dehumidifier or a fan for cleaning.
Sodium bicarbonate or commonly known as baking soda is another effective remedy for molds. It is safe for your family and pets and works without filling your room with odor. For the best result, baking soda should be fresh.
Make a paste by mixing 50:50 baking soda and water. The past will remove the molds and also prevent them from growing. Apply the paste to the affected area and allow it to settle for a few minutes. Next, scrub the area with a brush and clean it with a wet disposable towel. Next, male a spray solution by adding two spoons of baking soda in water. Use it as a spray and wipe it.
Lemon is acidic and acts as a natural deodorizer. In addition, it is antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial, which can also be used to remove stains. The acidic nature of lemon breaks down molds preventing its further growth.
Extract some lemon juice in a cup and apply it to the affected area. Allow it to settle for a few minutes before wiping it with a disposable towel. If the molds are firm, use a brush to scrub before cleaning with a towel.
To make lemon juice more effective, add soap solution in water. Soap will give an added effect in breaking the molds. Lemon is the most effective way to remove molds from the kitchen.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is an effective remedy for spiders and goes well for molds too. It is a safe option and a natural antifungal to eliminate molds from your house. The powerful yet safe formula not only kills molds but also prevents them from coming back.
Add one spoon of tea tree oil is a cup full of water. Applying the same ratio, make a solution by shaking it and fill it in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the affected area and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, scrub with a brush and wipe it with a disposable towel.
Molds create problems as they can form on all kinds of surfaces. Hydrogen peroxide is the most effective and safe remedy to get rid of molds. For leather, you can use distilled vinegar or lemon. One of the main reasons for molds is humidity and dark places. Keep your house well ventilated and lit up to prevent the growth of molds.