Worst Plants To Have In Your House

 

Plants can bring a little extra life to any home! They can help reduce the level of carbon dioxide in a room. However, some plants may not be beneficial to have indoors. This article will look at some plants that may be worth just keeping outside. So read on for a list of the worst plants to keep in your house!

Heartleaf Philodendron

Heartleaf Philodendron, also known as Devil’s Ivy, is a popular houseplant found in many homes around the US. However, it contains calcium oxalate crystals that the plant releases if it is damaged or crushed. This can lead to skin irritation, especially in children who may rub their eyes after touching the plant. It will not kill you if consumed but can cause some really unpleasant symptoms of nausea, stomach pain, cramps, among other issues! So remember to wash your hands after handling these plants!

Peace Lily (aka Mauna Loa Peace Lily)

These flowers are another plant that contains calcium oxalate crystals which can irritate your skin and mouth, but these effects are milder than those found in other plants on this list. But this plant also releases toxins into its environment that inhibit seedling growth, prevent or hinder their proper development, stunt them or kill them outright! It may not be the worst on our list, but it’s one you should avoid having indoors! If ingested by humans, the Peace Lily (aka as Mauna Loa Peace Lily) can cause mild vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms only last a couple of days at most, but why take your chances?

Oleander

Oleander is one of the most poisonous plants you can have in your house! This plant contains deadly chemicals to both humans and animals if ingested. Unfortunately, there’s no antidote for this poison, so don’t eat it! Oleander poisoning in people causes symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, low blood pressure, abnormal heart rate, or rhythm that can lead to death from heart failure. Eating oleander causes similar effects in animals, leading to vomiting, low blood pressure, and a high heart rate.

Dumb Cane (aka Dieffenbachia)

The symptoms of Dumb Cane poisoning include oral irritation such as burning and swelling in your mouth and tongue, excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing, speech problems, and pain when breathing. It’s also a problem for pets if they chew on this plant, which can cause similar symptoms or even more serious ones, including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and a loss of coordination, leading to a seizure, coma, or death! These symptoms may occur within hours of eating this plant, so get your pet to an Emergency Veterinary Clinic ASAP!

Calla Lilly

Calla Lilly contains several toxic compounds known as alkaloids. These chemicals can cause burning in the mouth or throat accompanied by gastrointestinal upset if ingested. In addition, it has been known to cause paralysis in some cases. Make sure you never have any part of this plant where your pet might find it because ingesting even a small amount could prove fatal!

English Ivy

Ivy has always been seen as a sign of good luck and fortune but what isn’t known by many people is that this plant can kill you! It contains a chemical called triterpenoid saponins, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach aches. Luckily, these effects usually go away after several days if the poisoning isn’t too severe. In rare cases, English Ivy has caused paralysis in some parts of the body due to its effects on your nervous system! However, there have been cases where people were hospitalized from it.

Conclusion

It would be wise to avoid certain houseplants because they can be very dangerous. Always do your research before buying any plant to ensure it won’t harm anyone living with you! Also, if you believe you or someone else may have eaten one of these poisonous plants, then seek immediate medical attention!