One of the most daunting tasks you’ll have to face while renovating your home is choosing the paint colors for different rooms. So, thinking of picking any random color? Think again because, according to science, paint colors impact our emotions and feelings. Have you ever entered a room and felt completely relaxed? Or maybe you felt stressed or suffocated after sitting in a particular room? Science is the reason behind it, as different colors trigger certain emotions. Therefore, knowing which colors will evoke certain emotions can enhance your life while making your home look more desirable.
The Importance Of Choosing The Right Color
Colors affect your mood. Hence, it’s essential to know about the mood-altering characteristics of a paint color before slathering it on your walls. Here are some standard colors homeowners choose while painting their rooms and how they make us feel.
Basic Properties Of Different Colors
- Red – As you may have heard, red is the color of both passion and love. Moreover, red also induces hunger in people. So, now you know why Mc Donald’s use so much red in their marketing campaigns and food packs.
- Blue – Contrast to red, blue induces mild reactions in people. If you want your room to be calming, use blue as a color. Professionals also recommend Blue to people who have behavioral issues.
- Yellow – You might get surprised to know this, but yellow is a compelling color. When used in small doses or accents, it can produce an energetic atmosphere. So choose yellow if you want a particular room filled with cheer and brightness.
- Green – Green is the most common color used by interior designers while renovating a house. The color creates a calming effect and is preferred by people who wish to escape the hustle and bustle of life. Use green in spaces where you would interact with guests.
- Brown – Reminiscing nature, brown is earthy. It is warm, and especially men seem to connect with it more. You can use it in more masculine areas of the home as it can be the best color for a workout room or a games room.
- White – As you know, white is the color of peace and freshness. Moreover, it can also make spaces look more prominent and refreshing. However, the only problem you’ll face is the upkeep this color demands.
Now that you know the different properties of the most common colors, here’s a short guide on what hues you should and shouldn’t use for each area of your home.
Ideal Colors For Different Parts Of The House
Dining room or kitchen
As you’ve read above, red stimulates hunger, and orange and yellow are no less responsible. You’re more likely to consume more calories when you eat on a red plate or in a red-painted room. Hence, it’s best to avoid red, orange, or yellow in your dining room. On the other hand, cream and white are the colors of cleanliness and goodness, something you want around food.
Office or study
According to research conducted at Creighton University, those who worked in the blue office felt more calm, centered, and motivated toward their work than those at white offices. Therefore, blue is perfect for your home office or study room walls. On the contrary, avoid painting your study or office with grey as it’s one of the most passive colors.
Since you relax and interact with your friends and family in your living room, green should be your first preference. The reason is, green makes you feel calm and relaxed, which is precisely what you want to feel after having a stressful day. However, orange is a stimulating color so avoid it in rooms where you want to relax.
You have to be very specific when choosing a color for your bedroom. Black is something you would want to avoid using in your bedroom as it is the color of aggression. At the same time, purple should be your first choice as it is the color of luxury, sumptuousness, and comfort.
If you have a gym or workout room in your house, use orange as the paint color to stimulate motivation and energy. Grey, however, is the opposite and is the least vibrant color you would find. So, avoid grey at all costs.
Last but not least, the bathroom also forms an essential part of your house. Since the bathroom is probably the first place you go in the morning, you would want to use yellow as it stimulates proper nerve function and assists the endocrine system and liver to function efficiently. On the other hand, black would be a bad idea for the bathroom, making the room seem smaller and boxed.
Before starting your home renovation process, give considerable thought to the color scheme you’re going to use. Home is where you feel safest and calm; hence make sure you pay attention to every minute detail. Since you know the science behind why the colors you paint your house are essential, you can make a wise decision.